Ofcom to Bring ATVOD’s Duties In-house

Ofcom to Bring ATVOD’s Duties In-house

LONDON — British communications czar Ofcom made it official today — it will start regulating video-on-demand under its authority starting Jan. 1.

The move spells the end of tenure for ATVOD, which was tapped in 2010 to co-regulate VOD content, and the beginning of a new chapter that shows uncertainty — particularly in light of a statute introduced last year that targets hardcore “prohibited material” and a directive from the prime minister to the domestic and overseas porn industry to install age-verification controls of its own.

Ofcom said that following a review of ATVOD’s role, it decided that “acting as sole regulator for video-on-demand programs is a more effective model for the future than having two separate bodies carrying out this work.”

“This will create operational efficiencies and allow editorial content on video-on-demand to sit alongside Ofcom's existing regulation of broadcasting,” the regulator said.

Ofcom had concluded that the increasing convergence of linear services and on-demand programming, the Single Digital Market Review in the E.U., and the need for a comprehensive solution to the future of content regulation necessitated the move.

Ofcom noted that demand for VOD had skyrocketed in the past four years with the proportion of adults aged 15 increasing from 27 percent in 2010 to 57 percent in 2014. The figures were higher among other audiences — 70 percent for 15-24s and 71 percent among 25-34s, compared for 35 percent for both demographics since 2010.

ATVOD CEO Pete Johnson, in response to Ofcom’s decision to take over the co-regulator’s duties, said today: “Our regulation benefited greatly from their input and we’ve been pleased to develop together a robust and efficient model of co-regulation taking a fledgling industry sector through its first five years.”

Ofcom said that ATVOD played an important, effective role in regulating on-demand TV over the past five years.

“Like Ofcom, it is committed to protecting audiences from harmful content,” Ofcom said. “ATVOD and Ofcom are therefore working closely together to ensure a smooth transfer of responsibilities so that audiences, especially children, remain protected at all times.”

In the past year, rules relative to sexually explicit content for VOD operators have been strengthened by Parliament.

Last year, British legislators implemented into law the Audiovisual Media Services Regulations 2014 act, which targets content streamed on TV or the web that would be denied a British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) certificate.

As a result, ATVOD introduced the statute as Rule 14 to target violating adult operators. That statute, along with Rule 11, which prohibited distributed content without sturdy age-verification checks, was in its primary arsenal to keep under-18s from accessing porn in the U.K.

Starting next year, those regulations will be merged into Ofcom’s own code book. Ofcom’s authority spans all U.K. communications industries, with responsibilities across TV, radio, telecommunications, wireless communications and postal services.  

In a letter to service providers obtained by XBIZ, Tony Close, Ofcom’s director of content standards, licensing and enforcement content, said that the existing rules still apply for VOD distributors during the transition through the end of the year.

“I would like to assure you that the revocation does not result in a change in the substantive obligations on those in the regulated sector or the standards of audience protection service users can expect from regulated video on demand services in the U.K.,” Close said in the letter.

“[O]fcom is already able to act concurrently with, or in place of, any co-regulator, so this is not a change to the scope of our activities. Furthermore, [current laws] allow for Ofcom to revoke the appointment of ATVOD at any time.”

However, Close said that the move provides an opportunity to review how the agency will approach the regulation of VOD services.

“We would be particularly interested to hear your views on what changes, if any, would make regulation more effective for consumers and proportionate for stakeholders,” Close said.

“We will therefore be consulting with relevant stakeholders, including notified services, in the first quarter of 2016 before we make any changes to the current approach,” he said.

“If you wish to submit any initial informal views or suggestions to us ahead of that consultation, please send them to the email address vodreviewteam@ofcom.org.uk.”

Ofcom also said that ATVOD fees for distributors of on-demand content will continue through March.

View Ofcom's letter to service providers

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

AEBN Publishes Report on Fetish Trends

AEBN has published a report on fetish categories from its straight and gay theaters.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

Industry Photographer, 'Payout' Founder Mike B Passes Away

Longtime industry photographer and publisher Michael Bartholomey, known widely as Mike B, passed away Saturday.

FSC Announces 2025 Board of Directors Election Nominees

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has announced the nominees for its 2025 Board of Directors election.

AdultHTML Launches Black Friday Web Design, Development Promo

AdultHTML has launched its annual Black Friday/Cyber Monday promo for web design and development, running through Dec. 5.

Canada Exempts Online Adult Content From 'CanCon' Quotas

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has updated its broadcasting regulatory policies, exempting streaming adult content from “made in Canada” requirements that apply to other online material.

Creator Law Firm 'OnlyFirm' Launches

Entertainment attorney Alex Lonstein has officially launched OnlyFirm.com for creators.

German Court Puts Pornhub, YouPorn 'Network Ban' on Hold

The Administrative Court of Düsseldorf has temporarily blocked the State Media Authority of North Rhine-Westphalia (LfM) from forcing telecom providers to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

FSC: NC Law Invalidating Model Contracts Takes Effect December 1

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has issued a notice that North Carolina's Prevent Exploitation of Women and Minors Act goes into effect on December 1.

Show More